Saturday 24 December 2011

Mixtikl on Kindle Fire!

I got hold of a Kindle Fire via a re-seller on eBay UK, so we could make sure that Mixtikl worked fine on there.

This being Android, Mixtikl worked first time! I installed Mixtikl using "adb install", having first configured adb to recognise the Kindle Fire.

I changed just a couple of things to make it "Kindle Fire friendly". Those being:
- I had to increase the audio latency a bit to prevent audio break-up; that took just a few minutes...
- I had to account for Kindle Fire's taking-up the bottom 20 pixels to display the soft menu bar, which was also very easy...

I must say that Mixtikl works *really* well on the Kindle Fire. The Mixtikl icon doesn't display at the moment; but I have read that is because the icon is downloaded only when you purchase the app from the Amazon Kindle App Store.

I should say that I'm really very impressed with the Kindle Fire! It is a really nice size, fabulous for reading books (thanks to the touch screen, which isn't on the older Kindle of course). It seems very fast, with a lovely clear display and it is very responsive. Will I like it more than my iPad 1? Well, I prefer the size of the Kindle Fire, and like the stereo speakers; and I like that it was so easy to get our app running on it. :) The iPad has the advantage of having lots of good quality games for it... but it is *very* much more expensive ... if the Kindle Fire had more storage space, it'd make quite a nice MP3 player.

It's a pain that the Amazon App store is US-only at the moment, but I'm sure they'll roll that out worldwide soon enough. I think they're going to sell huge numbers of Kindle Fires!

I also want to mention that so far, the Amazon developer support team have been *incredibly* responsive to the questions I've had; I'm genuinely impressed!

Pete

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news! I can't wait for Mixtikl on Android and it's great to hear it'll work on kit as (relatively) inexpensive as the Fire!
Brilliant!

Pete Cole said...

Thanks Francis!

Currently, we're planning to sell *only* via the Amazon App Store in the US, as there are too many issues with the Google Marketplace...

We hope to have Mixtikl available through Amazon in a few weeks - do please keep an eye open for it!

Best wishes,

Pete

Anonymous said...

Ah! Fair enough. Looks like us non-US will have to become virtual Americans to grab it...

Pete Cole said...

Hi Francis, a pain, isn't it? :(

The rumours are that the Kindle Fire should have a worldwide roll-out this year at some point, which will be great news for us of course. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Me again!
Do you think the Archos 70 tablet would be able to run Mixtikl happily?
It's got an ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz and 256mb RAM (and a 250gb hard drive - the thing that I like!) and I've found one going cheap, or do you think it's worth waiting for something a bit more high-powered?
Keep up the fantastic work!
In awe, as ever.

Pete Cole said...

Hi Francis,

That is a good question. :)

I honestly don't know, and can but suggest that you give it a try and let us know what happens!

There are too many Android devices to keep track of, and we're going to rely on our users to share information on this via the Intermorphic Forums (!!) (do pop-by if you haven't been there yet!).

Best wishes,

Pete